Hua Hin, January 14th 2022
If you are COVID positive and in quarantine at home, we have the following recommendations.
Don’t be overly concerned! For most people, notably those who are fully vaccinated and in good health, COVID-19 poses only a very minimal risk of developing into a severe illness. The Omicron variant, now also dominant in Thailand, is proven to be more contagious. The latest statistics in various countries show a significantly lower hospitalization and fatality rate. However, this does not mean you should not take your infection seriously.
The best treatment of patients with no or mild symptoms is:
- get enough sleep and rest
- avoid stress and try to relax
- keep a level of exercising as suited for your condition (e.g. walking)
- eat healthy food notably fruit and vegetables
- drink plenty of fluids e.g. water, fruit juices and green tea
- stop or at least highly restrict the intake of nicotine, caffeine and alcohol
If you would like to use medicines to support the strengthening of your immunity, we recommend the herbal drug Andrographis (180mg per day) locally known as “fah talai jone”. It is promoted by the Thai medical authorities and is widely available including at our pharmacy.
If you have a fever, body aches and/or other physical discomfort we advise taking paracetamol (max 1000mg per dosage, 3000mg per day). We do not recommend you start experimenting with other drugs (so don’t google too much?) unless in consultation with your doctor.
When should you consult your doctor?
- If you are over 75 years of age or if you have a medical condition that poses a higher risk to develop severe symptoms. The doctor might consider prescribing prophylactic medication and/or admit you into a hospital for temporary observation.
- If you have mild symptoms which are not well responding to paracetamol. The doctor may prescribe alternative pain killers, cough suppressants, and/or other medicines to treat these symptoms.
- If your symptoms are getting more severe (e.g. breathing problems) or are lasting more than 5 days or if fever comes back. In such cases we also recommend you check your oxygen saturation level (oxygen meters are widely available). If the saturation level is below 95% you should call the doctor.
- If you are concerned about your condition causing mental stress.